Mog is a 13 week old Devon Rex kitten, who was recently homed from a local breeder.
The new owner was given a pipette of a flea and worming product with no instructions on how to use it. Assuming it was an oral medication like many worming pastes, the owner gave the treatment directly into Mog’s mouth.
However, the treatment given by the breeder was a commonly used flea and wormer that must be given onto the skin on the neck. The owner noticed something was wrong when Mog started to vomit and shake uncontrollably. Upon calling us, she was mortified to find she had given this transcutaneous medication into her precious kitten’s mouth!
On arrival Mog was dry retching and heaving, and had muscular tremors. There is no antidote for this medication, and treatment is symptomatic. This means providing appropriate treatment for the showing symptoms. Her tremors quickly subsided, and we only had to give her IV fluid support, and anti-sickness and stomach protectants.
We are pleased to say Mog has made a full recovery and is now back home, driving the older Devon Rex crazy with her antics!
Thankfully, it is relatively uncommon for treatments to be given in the wrong way, however Mog’s story is not alone. You should never use a treatment or medication without clearly labelled instructions. Many topical flea treatments are accidentally given orally, and the results can be very serious indeed, leading to seizures and even death.
Label instructions should ALWAYS be present on any prescribed drug, even if you have purchased this online or at pet supermarket. Please do report any instances where this is not the case, in order to reduce the incidence of these sad and unnecessary accidents....